Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Portfolio: Studio Introduction

Boston Architectural College - Distance Masters of Architecture Studio II.

The M.Arch II studio began as most studios do, with a warm-up exercise. The exercise was designed to focus on specific spatial transitions. We were given a 'site' that had several objects that were not to be moved, and also given several objects that were intended to be placed within the site to create specific spatial transitions. Below is my final solution and the text on the image is the explanation of how I arrived at that solution.


It is important to include this assignment in my introduction because there is a very strong connection from this seemingly abstract assignment, with the solution that I presented as a final project.

When we arrived in Boston we were finally introduced to the site of our final project along with the program for the site. I immediately made the connection of the geometry of the site to the geometry of our first abstract assignment. Our second assignment was to develop a 'parti' or a snapshot of our idea with part or all of the program beginning to be applied to some kind of geometry. Below is my parti sketches, which have further explanation of these connections.



It wasn't a requirement of the process to include any connections or relationships to the original assignment, but I found this not only an interesting challenge, but a spring board into the project. As the program became further developed, and the constraints of the program, and the site were fully applied, some of this connection was lost, but I think you find that there is still a connection. The most obvious of which is the geometry that is labeled the gradual transition in the solution to the first assignment. As you further explore this portfolio blog you will find that my project has several metaphorical references, and at the heart of these references is this gradual transition. Education is a gradual transition, and that leads me perfectly into my concept statement.

No comments: