Saturday, August 11, 2007

Cheating? Or Jumping Ahead...?



The intent was to satisfy my original understanding of the assignement. To create a singular object with the geometry that was presented, with the addition of only the three lengths of walls. Columns could be used, but sparingly. It seemed much more challenging to achieve the required transitions with only these objects. Considering we only had certain lenghts of walls, my understanding was that lining up (4) 10' walls to create a 40' wall was not an option.

The reasoning behind the addition the change of height in the walls and the 'ceilings' was an attempt to show the overlap of 2 implied masses. And in that attempt the negative spaces and overlapping spaces that are created from these locations serves to acheive the transitions that were required in the assignment. It is easy to line up walls and columns to create space and transitions, but there are many other tools that designers use to portray a transition, whether it is change in elevation, or color, or room height. To attempt to communicate these things was much more interesting to me than to line up columns, or lengths of walls.

2 comments:

werner said...

Karrick, cheating would imply getting to fullfill the requirements using "illigal" means. Well, I don't think your additional elements (play with wall heights and implying ceilings) solved the outstanding issues. Jumping ahead. Not at all. This exercise is a stand-alone. I would like very much if you could tweak your scheme to add the missing pieces.

Anne McQuown said...

I found myself wanting some other elements to work with myself. I love more organic and softer spaces. Ceilings and colors can have a really strong affect on perception of space.