Sunday, August 12, 2007

Climate Analysis





Climatic Conclusion for a Building Site in the Boston Area

The analysis of direct solar gain through sky cover, wind speeds, temperature and relative humidity, are all important factors in the design of building systems. The analysis of the site information for our site in Boston has led us to several conclusions. The heating requirement will be much greater than that of the cooling. Alternative passive systems for cooling can be applied in this area due to low levels of relative humidity. Due to a high percentage of cloud cover during the year, solar heat gain and solar power should not be considered as the primary concerns for design.

2 comments:

Peter James DeIuliis said...

Karrick....nice job on the climate analysis... I like how you incorporated the charts into your final product... concerning the average % sunshine, I know that the "climate consultant" program states that the annual sky cover is 58%, but I questioned that so I looked up some other resources on the web and they stated that Boston has 58% annual sunshine.... Ann mentioned this as well in her post... I listed 58% in my analysis for sunshine, but am still pretty unclear which is correct... anyhow, nice work...

Berardi + Partners - Architects and Engineers said...

Yeah, Joe and I worked on this together... which is why we ended up posting the same material. We interpreted the sky cover as cloud cover... which would mean that there was 42% sun...??? I don;t really know though.